Watch a rare version of Sri Jagannath Astakam of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu with lyrics in english text & translation. Sung by Mukunda Datta Prabhu. Watch and sing along.
(1)kadācit kālindī-taṭa-vipina-sańgītaka-ravomudābhīrī-nārī-vadana-kamalāsvāda-madhupaḥramā-śambhu-brahmāmara-pati-gaṇeśārcita-padojagannāthaḥ svāmī nayana-patha-gāmī bhavatu me
(2)bhuje savye veṇuḿ śirasi śikhi-puccham kaṭi-taṭedukūlaḿ netrānte sahacara-kaṭākṣaḿ vidadhatesadā śrīmad-vṛndāvana-vasati-līlā-paricayojagannāthaḥ svāmī nayana-patha-gāmī bhavatu me
(3)mahāmbhodhes tīre kanaka-rucire nīla-śikharevasan prāsādāntaḥ sahaja-balabhadreṇa balināsubhadrā-madhya-sthaḥ sakala-sura-sevāvasara-dojagannāthaḥ svāmī nayana-patha-gāmī bhavatu me
(4)kṛpā-pārāvāraḥ sajala-jalada-śreṇi-ruciroramā-vāṇī-rāmaḥ sphurad-amala-pańkeruha-mukhaḥsurendrair ārādhyaḥ śruti-gaṇa-śikhā-gīta-caritojagannāthaḥ svāmī nayana-patha-gāmī bhavatu me
(5)rathārūḍho gacchan pathi milita-bhūdeva-paṭalaiḥstuti-prādurbhāvam prati-padam upākarṇya sadayaḥdayā-sindhur bandhuḥ sakala jagatāḿ sindhu-sutayājagannāthah svāmī nayana-patha-gāmī bhavatu me
(6)para-brahmāpīḍaḥ kuvalaya-dalotphulla-nayanonivāsī nīlādrau nihita-caraṇo ‘nanta-śirasirasānando rādhā-sarasa-vapur-ālińgana-sukhojagannāthaḥ svāmī nayana-patha-gāmī bhavatu me
(7)na vai yāce rājyaḿ na ca kanaka-māṇikya-vibhavaḿna yāce ‘haḿ ramyāḿ sakala jana-kāmyāḿ vara-vadhūmsadā kāle kāle pramatha-patinā gīta-caritojagannāthaḥ svāmī nayana-patha-gāmī bhavatu me
(8)hara tvaḿ saḿsāraḿ druta-taram asāraḿ sura-patehara tvaḿ pāpānāḿ vitatiḿ aparāḿ yādava-pateaho dīne ‘nāthe nihita-caraṇo niścitam idaḿjagannāthaḥ svāmī nayana-patha-gāmī bhavatu me
(9)jagannāthāṣṭakaḿ punyaḿ yaḥ paṭhet prayataḥ śuciḥsarva-pāpa-viśuddhātmā viṣṇu-lokaḿ sa gacchati
1. Sometimes in great happiness Lord Jagannatha makes a loud concert with His flute in the groves on the banks of the Yamuna. He is like a bumblebee tasting the beautiful lotus like faces of the cowherd damsels of Vraja, and great personalities such as Laksmi, Siva, Brahma, Indra, and Ganesa worship His lotus feet. May that Jagannatha Svami be the object of my vision.
2. In His left hand Lord Jagannatha holds a flute, on His head He wears peacock feathers, and on His hips He wears fine yellow silken cloth. From the corners of His eyes He bestows sidelong glances upon His loving devotees, and He always reveals Himself through His pastimes in His divine abode of Vrndavana. May that Jagannatha Svami be the object of my vision.
3. On the shore of the great ocean, within a large palace atop the brilliant, golden Nilacala Hill, Lord Jagannatha resides with His powerful brother Balabhadra and His sister Subhadra, who sits between Them. May that Jagannatha Svami, who bestows the opportunity for devotional service upon all godly souls, be the object of my vision.
4. Lord Jagannatha is an ocean of mercy and as beautiful as a row of blackish rain clouds. He is the storehouse of bliss for Laksmi and Sarasvati, and His face resembles a spotless full-blown lotus. The best of demigods and sages worship Him, and the Upanisads sing His glories. May that Jagannatha Svami be the object of my vision.
5. When Lord Jagannatha moves along the road on His Rathayatra car, at every step large assemblies of brahmanas loudly chant prayers and sing songs for His pleasure. Hearing their hymns, Lord Jagannatha becomes very favorably disposed toward them. He is the ocean of mercy and the true friend of all the worlds. May that Jagannatha Svami, along with His consort Laksmi, who was born from the ocean of nectar, be the object of my vision.
6. Lord Jagannatha, whose eyes resemble full-blown lotus petals, is the ornament on Lord Brahma’s head. He resides on Nilacala Hill with His lotus feet placed on the heads of Anantadeva. Overwhelmed by the mellows of love, He joyfully embraces Srimati Radharani’s body, which is like a cool pond. May that Jagannatha Svami be the object of my vision.
7. I do not pray for a kingdom nor do I pray for gold, rubies, or wealth. I do not ask for a beautiful wife as desired by all men. I simply pray that Jagannatha Svami, whose glories Lord Siva always sings, may be the constant object of my vision.
8. O Lord of the demigods, please quickly remove this useless material existence I am undergoing. O Lord of the Yadus, please destroy this vast, shoreless ocean of sins. Alas, this is certain Lord Jagannatha bestows His lotus feet upon those who feel themselves fallen and have no shelter in this world but Him. May that Jagannatha Svami be the object of my vision.
9. The self-retrained, virtuous soul who recites these eight verses glorifying Lord Jagannatha becomes cleansed of all sins and duly proceeds to Lord Visnu’s abode.
I’m “A jack of all trades who’s interested in any photography, video/film productions or audio-related work that offers me intellectual and creative challenges, ehm like exposure to different people and places (I love traveling a lot, so you can send me to Afghanistan or wherever) I have a BIG room for professional growth. Boom! I’m a passionate story-teller and an experimental junkie. I’m not afraid to cross and break the boundaries of possible and impossible, I believe in a simple philosophy — “impossible can only be found in the foolish dictionary”.